This week we learned a lot about academic integrity. I found the part we learned from Badke about plagiarism to be beneficial to me. I read a lot and sometimes when I am writing papers I want to refer to something I read, but I can't quite remember which source I found it in. I have learned I can't summarize what I learned unless I found the same idea in multiple sources. I have started highlighting my books when I read something that I think I might use later and this helps me find it when I am searching for some idea I read about and I want to write about. I now know I must credit the source in the text. I used to think if the source was in my works cited that was enough, but I have to mention in my text where this information came from. I found this to be very helpful.
I also learned I can't use work I did in one class for another. This is good to know since a lot of my courses have overlapping assignments. It wasn't something I had done before or even thought about until I read this in our code of ethics. I now know if I want to I have to have permission from both instructors to do
Hi Cheryl, I also found the plagiarism information in the Badke text very beneficial. I found it interesting that paraphrasing was not recommended in most cases. As individuals are more at risk of plagiarism when paraphrasing. Summarizing is recommended instead. It is extremely important to quote and cite when necessary. So many important procedures to remember and follow. I find myself referring back to the text and looking up information when in doubt.
ReplyDeleteThank you,
Sally Brooks