Friday, June 27, 2014

Welcome


My name is Cheryl and I am starting my second term at Brandman University. I am an Organizational Leadership major and I hope to one day work in non-profit management. 

I am a mother of three children who are 10, 9, and 6. The kids are quite busy and with all their after school activities we are on the go a lot, but we have lots of fun! Family is the most important thing in my life and I am learning to balance school and family. My husband is in the Navy and we are enjoying having him around since he is on shore duty. We are currently stationed in WA and we are loving it!

During the course of this class I am going to follow the five standards of information literacy competency outlined in "ACRL Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education." 

  • Determine what information I need and how much information.
  • Decide the best retrieval methods and research sources for the information I need.
  • Decide if the sources are credible and if I should use the information in my work.
  • Use the information I gathered effectively for the purposes of my assignment.
  • Understand the ethical and legal ramifications of using the information I just gathered. *(One way to do this is to properly cite my sources and give credit to the authors of the work I am using.
This blog will be a perfect format in applying all the research skills that I will learn in this course and I look forward to your input!

Association of Colleges and Research Libraries. (2000). Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. Retrieved from: http://www.ala.org/acrl/sites/ala.org.acrl/files/content/standards/standards.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Jenelle Young

    Hello, It sounds like you are a very busy mom, balancing school, work, and family all at the same time. However, I can somewhat relate to you. I used to be a stay at home mother of two boys, 2 and 4, but I have a job now, so I am trying to balance everything and still getting the hang of it. I used to be a full time student, but I have to switch to part time. We used to be a military family Now he is medically retired, so we are still transitioning into civilian life.

    I like the goals that you have set for this class. I think I too, also need to work more on learning what information to use in research and finding how reliable and accurate the information is for me to use, as well as citing. I enjoy free writing, but research writing is a little different to me and I need to really practice on how to implement my information into my writing. Great post and good luck with this course.

    Jenelle Young

    ReplyDelete